UK (Durham University) Colour, laughter and a sense of community: joyous cultural celebrations at World Fest
In the afternoon of Sunday 5 March, the International Students’ Association (ISA) and Durham University Student Volunteering and Outreach (DUSVO) hosted World Fest, part of Durham Global Week.
The student-run event saw over 20 cultural stalls representing over 70 different countries and cultures from across the globe. World Fest attracted over 800 visitors throughout the afternoon and celebrated cultural diversity at Durham.
Students, staff and the local community explored the cultural stalls, participated in various activities, including arts and crafts, quizzes and traditional games, filling the Fonteyn Ballroom in the Students’ Union with colour, laughter, and a sense of community.
Alongside the cultural stalls, there was a vast range of food to purchase from home cooks in connection with the student-run catering service called Hey! Food is Ready. Egyptian, Moroccan, Bangladeshi, Portuguese and Mauritian cuisines were among those on offer.
Throughout the afternoon, there were also six different interactive sessions that took place in the Learning Lounge. Varying from Bollywood Dance, Swing Dance and Indian Kathak Dance to Czeck and Slovak Folk Dance, Bachata and Taekwondo, there was something for everyone!
Find out more
- Join in with Durham Global Week
- Keep up-to-date as the shortlists are announced for the Durham Global Awards
- Explore the array of global culture initiatives, achievements and discoveries
- Learn more about the global impact of staff and students
- Discover the International Students’ Association Instagram
- Read more about Durham University’s Student Volunteering and Outreach