The history of Yonsei University began on April 10th, 1885, as Korea’s first modern hospital "Gwanghyewon." Two weeks after opening, King Kojong gave Gwanghyewon a new name - "Chejungwon." Gwanghyewon was established by a medical missionary, Horace N. Allen. Prior to opening, missionary Horace G. Underwood visited Korea, assisting in medical treatment at Chejungwon while starting his work in education and missionary activities. These two missionaries' work that is based in Chejungwon has become the foundation of Yonsei.
Since then, works related to medicine were institutionalized to become what was initially the Severance Medical College and later Severance Hospital and Severance Medical School. Meanwhile, in education, what was initially known as Underwood School, Gyeongsin School, and later Yonhi College became Yonhi University. Yonhi and Severance supported the independence and modernization of Korea during Japanese colonization and at times of crises. As a university, it also bore the responsibility to democratize and modernize the country after the Korean War.
Yonsei University, 서대문구 연세로 50, Seodaemun-gu, Seoul 03722, South Korea